Friday, March 5, 2010

...so I didn't buy the pizza rolls



There I was, meandering through the aisles of the grocery store when I saw the extra large party bag of Totino's Pizza Rolls in the freezer section end cap. I automatically reached for them and as I started to put them into my cart I looked down at my other purchases. Fresh marinated mozarella, Hummuss, poppadoms, watermelon. Everything there looked suspiciously dissimiliar to the bag of pizza rolls in my hand. A sad sigh escaped my lips as I realized that I hated pizza rolls. Derek mostly hated pizza rolls. Colt is the only one in the family who embraces pizza rolls. I put the pizza rolls back in the freezer dejectedly. I miss Colt.

I discovered today that I particularly notice his absense when i'm dragging all of the groceries in from the car by myself, or dragging the vaccumm cleaner up two flights of stairs and then back down again. I also realized that I am going to figure out how to haul off the bales of hay in my backyard all by my little lonesome and I get no more get out of jail free cards when it comes to hauling laundry up and down the stairs. Oh sure, I can probably get Derek to do a lot of that, but Colt just does it all with such flair and panache. I suspect that even as I type this, he is being mentally beaten down and remolded to suit the army's needs.

His wife, Michelle, asked me if he would come back a different person. I said yes. He will, but only the parts of him that the army uses. He will always and forever be my Colt. He will always throw his fist into the air and yell "Colt Wins"! Whenever things go the way he wants them to, and when things don't go his way, he will always say "Oh...sad day". He may never have learned to keep his room clean...at all...ever...but I tip my hat to him for his cheerful attitude whenever I asked him to haul things for me or put things away.

I love you kid!

3 comments:

The Special K's(0: said...

...your face! (0; I miss him too, and I don't even live in Nebraska! Lol! He is such a special person, and I really mean that in the nicest way. I can't wait to see him and sweet Michelle again! God bless that sweet boy(0: And you too(0: I can't wait to see you again too(0: I love you!

firebirdluver said...

Oddly enough, I miss him, too. I would so like to have come for the wedding and his swearing in. (sigh). Perhaps you could ease my pain by emailing me his boot camp address. I'm not a very good pen pal, but I could probably get him a letter or two before he gets out. Wish we were closer; I'd come over to encourage Derek to carry things for you. Love you.

The Special K's(0: said...

"Watchin's helpin'", firebird luver, lol.